Saturday, December 27, 2008

Snow

Sandy, Adalie and I set out to drive to Walla Walla on December 21st. I-84 across the state was closed due to snow and ice. My brother-in-law found an alternate route using a road that goes around the south side of Mt. Hood. The short version is that we left at 10:30 in the morning and arrived in Walla Walla shortly after 10:30 at night (it usually takes about 5 1/2 hours). The highlights include my locking Addi in the car at a rest stop - thank goodness Sandy carries an extra key in his wallet. I was so close to breaking the window. Also, both of our tire chains broke during our drive. At one point in our drive we were stopped in the right-hand lane of 84, while Sandy took off the final broken chain. All was well, however, because there were no other cars.
Addi did an amazing job and saved her grumpy self for when we arrived in Walla Walla. She and I were up 'til 1:30 :-) When we woke up, we were able to look out and see all of the snow. My parents had about two feet - definitely the most in memory.


Some of the icicles forked - very cool

A Christmas view out of the front window

The roof of the deck

The front window from inside. We waited and watched
as the icicle grew and grew and eventually
connected to the ground.

Front window from the outside

No comments: