Sunday, October 28, 2007

Balancing the scales of life



I would be very surprised to discover that I'm the only one struggling with the many areas of life that constantly duke it out to be a high priority in everyday life. Sometimes it's easier than others but now I'm all askew. It's lame feel spread thin because you want to have close friendships or a social life while the back of my mind is reminding me that I should be focusing on school or learning my German diction for an upcoming lesson, or a multitude of other things. I love the comment in Lord of the Rings when Bilbo says he feels "thin like butter spread over too much toast" It's a great analogy for the constant mediocrity I feel when I try to do it all at once. I really want a healthy balance and what I get is frustration when I have a bad lesson, or test for playing with friends or watching a movie, which is much more important to me now anyway. I shouldn't fret too much. It's really not worth it to get all worked up over. I do look forward to the day when I can really enjoy an activity, whatever it may be, even when I have something more pressing to take care of. All I can say is Amen for friends and Amen for the good days when I can feel good and confident for choosing one way or the other.

No comments: